ERICA SCHOOL FOR GIRLS
Miss Mary Anne van Wyk, founder of the Erica School, began teaching boys and girls from the Richmond Hill area, probably in her home in 1883. In 1884 she took transfer of land in Irvine Street on which the Plymouth Brethren, of whom she was a member, built the Erica Hall for their and her use. In 1900 two semi-detached houses in Mackay Street were also taken into use.
After the South African War, it was decided to erect a new school building, which was designed by architect W. White-Cooper, and was built by H.J. Beckett. It was opened on 4 November 1903.
In 1898 the Erica became part of the Grey Foundation and on 4 November 1903 the fine new building near Richmond Park was opened. On 21 October 1980 the school took over the more spacious Pearson High School buildings in Bayview Avenue.
The Richmond Park building became the headquarters of the Donkin Commando and it was declared a National Monument in 1989.