Centenary Methodist Church

Address: Edward Street

Where is this place?


The original Methodist Church was built in 1871 at the bottom of Russell Road. Sidney Hill, a merchant in partnership with William Savage, and his wife were childless and gave generously to charity. Mary Ann Hill died in England aged only 35 and her husband presented a memorial window to the Russell Road Methodist Church.

This church was closed in 1969 and demolished for road works.

The replacement church is Centenary Methodist Church, opened on 14 December 1969 and designed by Garth Robertson.
 

The memorial window is incorporated into the new building’s Northern fašade.

The cornerstone of the old building can still be seen where it features at the entrance to the new building.



Copyright RHSRA NPC - 2016